For Missouri, for Society, for the World
Dedicated to solving the world’s greatest health challenges, research at the University of Missouri’s NextGen Precision Health Institute will provide a game-changing return on investment through healthier communities, economic development and educational opportunities.
Continuing Mizzou’s legacy of service-oriented research and outreach, the NextGen Institute will utilize high-tech and high-touch approaches to address critical health challenges in major urban centers and underserved rural communities. We are developing:
- Personalized cancer vaccines and tumor immunotherapies
- Translational models to combat obesity and diabetes
- PTSD treatment tailored for veterans and active military
- Telemedicine and point-of-care diagnostics to serve rural or remote communities
- Tools for faster and earlier cancer diagnosis
- Neurobehavioral insights into opioid, cocaine and alcohol addiction
- Noninvasive diagnostics for heart and vascular function
- Innovative deep imaging techniques to predict brain disease
- Solutions to overcome health disparities
- Informatics to direct decision-making and disease prevention
Beyond the Benefits of Better Health Care
As the hub of our statewide precision health initiative, the NextGen Precision Health Institute will serve as the center for collaboration and ongoing discovery, helping to speed the path of precision health treatments, preventions and technologies, while empowering economic growth and healthier communities.
Students will also reap major benefits from the initiative. The institute will provide a rich environment where undergraduate, graduate and medical students learn from skilled scientists and industry leaders how to transform research into deliverable technologies. The skills and connections that students develop during their involvement with the NextGen Precision Health Institute will serve them for their entire career as they go on to become world-leading researchers, entrepreneurs and practitioners.
One of the boldest and most innovative investments in MU history, economic impact studies forecast the NextGen Precision Health Institute will:
- Attract and increase federal and industry funding
- Spur new technologies and businesses
- Add an estimated $5.6 billion to Missouri’s real GDP over the next 25 years
- Improve access and reduce indirect health care expenses for those living in rural areas
- Provide invaluable training for Missouri’s next generation of scientists, teachers and researchers
Supporting Mizzou’s Research Mission
As a land-grant university and Missouri’s only public research and doctoral-level institution, the University of Missouri’s mission is to achieve excellence in the discovery, dissemination, preservation and application of knowledge.
The NextGen Precision Health Institute will catalyze innovation to advance the educational, health, cultural, social and economic interests of Missouri, the nation and the world. To achieve this, our precision health work won’t be limited to our laboratories. Mizzou is home to exceptional public health, extension, business and journalism programs that will play key roles in delivering the benefits of NextGen Precision Health research into our communities. We will not only accelerate scientific discovery and produce life-changing health care solutions, but also strengthen our fundamental research, educational and outreach missions, cementing Mizzou’s reputation as a world-class research institution.