For Missouri, for Society, for the World
Dedicated to solving the world’s greatest health challenges, NextGen Precision Health research will provide a game-changing return on investment through healthier communities, economic development and educational opportunities.
Continuing Mizzou’s legacy of service-oriented research and outreach, the NextGen Precision Health initiative will utilize high-tech and high-touch approaches to address critical health challenges in major urban centers and underserved rural communities. We are developing:
- Personalized cancer vaccines and immunotherapy
- Live cancer treatments that manipulate gut bacteria
- Big data approaches to understanding virus transmission
- Clinical trials to improve life with diabetes
- New interventions for smoking addiction
- Five-minute brain exams for children and PTSD patients
- Gene therapy treatments for muscular dystrophy
- Overcoming health disparities in Missouri
Beyond the Benefits of Better Health Care
Our statewide precision health initiative will enable collaboration and ongoing discovery, speeding the development of precision health treatments, preventions and technologies, while empowering economic growth and healthier communities.
Students will also reap major benefits from the initiative. Undergraduate, graduate and medical students will train in the rich environment of a leading research enterprise, learning from skilled scientists and industry leaders how to transform research into deliverable technologies. The skills and connections that students develop during their involvement with NextGen Precision Health will serve them for their entire career as they go on to become world-leading researchers, entrepreneurs and practitioners.
As we educate the next generation, the initiative will demonstrate the importance of working together across disciplines to better address the needs of our society. Ultimately, these efforts will provide valuable experience for future professionals and fuel the state’s development of a highly-skilled workforce.
One of the boldest and most innovative investments in MU history, economic impact studies forecast that NextGen Precision Health will:
- Attract and increase federal and industry funding
- Spur new technologies and businesses
- Add an estimated $5.6 billion to Missouri’s real GDP over the next 25 years
- Improve access and reduce indirect health care expenses for those living in rural areas
- Provide invaluable training for Missouri’s next generation of scientists, teachers and researchers
Supporting Mizzou’s Research Mission
As a land-grant university and Missouri’s only public research and doctoral-level institution, the University of Missouri’s mission is to achieve excellence in the discovery, dissemination, preservation and application of knowledge.
NextGen Precision Health will catalyze innovation to advance the educational, health, cultural, social and economic interests of Missouri, the nation and the world. To achieve this, our precision health work won’t be limited to our laboratories. Mizzou is home to exceptional public health, extension, business and journalism programs that will play key roles in delivering the benefits of NextGen Precision Health research into our communities. We will not only accelerate scientific discovery and produce life-changing health care solutions, but also strengthen our fundamental research, educational and outreach missions, cementing Mizzou’s reputation as a world-class research institution.