For Missouri, for Society, for the World
Dedicated to solving the world’s greatest health challenges, research at the University of Missouri’s NextGen Precision Health Institute will provide a game-changing return on investment through healthier communities, economic development and impactful precision health discoveries.
Continuing Mizzou’s legacy of service-oriented research and outreach, the NextGen Institute will utilize high-tech and high-touch approaches to address critical health challenges in major urban centers and underserved rural communities. These include accessible solutions for:
- Personalized treatments for cancers
- Translational modeling to combat cellular damage caused by diabetes
- Advanced telemedicine and point of care diagnostics to serve patients in rural or remote communities
- Neurobehavioral insights into opioid, cocaine and alcohol addiction
- Advanced orthopaedic therapies to help fight obesity
- Early autism diagnosis
- PTSD treatments tailored for veterans and active military
- Depression care personalized to genes, environment and lifestyle
- Worldwide supplier of life-saving chemo replacement medication
Beyond the Benefits of Better Health Care
As the hub of our statewide precision health initiative, the NextGen Precision Health Institute will serve as the center for collaboration and ongoing discovery, helping to speed the path of precision health treatments and technologies while empowering economic growth and healthier communities.
One of the boldest and most innovative investments in MU history, economic impact studies forecast the NextGen Precision Health Institute will:
- Attract and increase federal and industry funding
- Spur new technologies and businesses
- Add an estimated $5.6 billion to Missouri’s real GDP over the next 25 years
- Improve access and reduce indirect health care expenses for those living in rural areas
- Provide invaluable training for Missouri’s next generation of scientists, teachers and researchers
Supporting Mizzou’s Research Mission
As a land-grant university and Missouri’s only public research and doctoral-level institution, the University of Missouri’s mission is to achieve excellence in the discovery, dissemination, preservation and application of knowledge.
The NextGen Precision Health Institute will catalyze innovation to advance the educational, health, cultural, social and economic interests of Missouri, the nation and the world. We will not only accelerate scientific discovery and produce life-changing health care solutions, but strengthen our fundamental research and educational missions, cementing Mizzou’s reputation as a world-class research institution.